top of page

Gift of Stocks or Other Securities 

Maybe your stocks have appreciated greatly since you owned them. By donating stock NTHU-NA Foundation that has appreciated for more than a year, you are actually giving 20 percent more than if you sold the stock and then made a cash donation. The reason is simple: avoiding capital gains taxes.












Transfers from a Bank or Broker 

If your bank or broker holds your securities, we recommend an electronic transfer in two steps via the Depository Trust Company (DTC) system. 


  1. Give your bank or broker a clear instruction. Here is a sample can be used: 


    I wish to make an irrevocable gift to Princeton University of "x" shares of "XYZ" Corporation. Please transfer the stock to National Tsing Hua University North America Foundation Inc | EIN: 83-0689060 via DTC as follows: 


    Bank of New York Mellon 

    DTC# 0443 

    Pershing, LLC 

    For Credit to Account: N7M100061 

    Account name: Trustees of Columbia University 


  2. E-mail transfer details to, alerting NTHU-NA Foundation to expect your gift. Not doing so may cause a delay in recognizing you as the donor. Please include the following information in your e-mail:  

    • Name and address 

    • Name and ticker symbol of the security 

    • Number of shares 

    • School or department gift fund to be credited 



Depreciated Stocks or Bonds 


If your securities declined in value, it is generally advisable not to donate them but rather to sell them to establish a tax loss and then donate the proceeds to National Tsing Hua University North America Foundation Inc  

Transmit a Physical Certificate 


All certificates and paperwork must have NTHU-NA Foundation's account number (N7M100061) written in the right hand corner to ensure the security is credited correctly. Mail certificates and paperwork to. 


National Tsing Hua University North America Foundation Inc  

777 Alexander Road, suite 102  

Princeton, New Jersey, 08540 


Required paperwork for submitting certificates: 

All stock bond powers must have original signatures and be medallion stamped guaranteed. No copies are accepted. You can obtain a medallion stamp at any bank or financial institution. It is highly recommended that the back of the certificate not be signed. Please use a stock bond power instead. A signed certificate becomes a negotiable instrument.  

Please also enclose a letter stating the purpose of your gift. 


For certificates in the organization's name, please provide the following: 

  • Stock bond power signed by an authorized signer of the organization and medallion stamped guarantee 

  • Copy of the corporate resolution/trading authority dated within six months 


For certificates still in the donor's name, please provide the following: 

  • Stock bond power signed by the donor and medallion stamped guarantee 

  • Letter of authorization signed by the donor stating the stock to be gifted 


For certificates in the name of an estate or a deceased individual, please provide the following: 

  • Stock bond power signed by the executor and medallion stamped guarantee 

  • Short certificate naming the court-appointed executor (dated within three months) 

  • Death certificate 

  • Letter of authorization signed by the executor stating the stock is to be gifted 


Please e-mail when a stock certificate has been sent so we can monitor the account and watch for its posting. If possible, please e-mail a copy of the certificate and paperwork to 

bottom of page